Monday, April 5, 2010


Training has been sporadic for the last month...especially in the pool. First, it is hard to get motivated to do it; second, my training partner often sleeps in rather than getting there early in the morning--even when he sends an invite through Facebook, the host shows 45 minutes late. Cycling has taken an upswing with the weather--I've ridden the new bike three times, with two of those rides maintaining a 19+ mph average (CT, you didn't slow me down). Running is there, but I haven't as much as I've wanted.

Last week I wanted to make a BIG week--10 or so hours of training. However, in the first half of the week, life got in the way--too many family, etc., events took precedence over the training. I was okay with that and even finding ways to make them up.

Wednesday, though, the unexpected happened. I was eating breakfast...leftover pancakes--probably too quickly--my esophagus cramped up (which is nothing new--not choking because I can still breathe, just food won't swallow...uncomfortably stuck), and one of my body's attempts to clear that is sneezing. Because I had food in my mouth, I stifled the sneeze rather than letting it go. About 10 minutes later things went south.

Another strange thing that happens "once in a blue moon" is a sensation through my arms that feels like they've turned to lead and are being pulled out of their sockets. Usually it passes in five to ten minutes.

Nonetheless, 10 minutes after the sneeze, my arms turned to lead. The bad thing was that I was driving at the time--which I don't think mattered, I just had to handle heavy machinery at the same time. I get to school, still in pain. This persists ALL DAY!

Fortunately, I've got good friends! Stephanie--my personal PA--thought that it was a bulged disc; and the next day, when I told her my fingertips were tingling, she felt that confirmed her theory. She told me to consistently take IBU.

So, Wednesday...miserable; I still taught Centergy (hoping that will make it feel better). Thursday, still struggling; and Friday, too. Saturday, went for a bike ride, and suffered for the rest of the day, but felt better in the evening. Sunday, felt tons better! I had one intense stinger in the morning, but the rest of the day felt good--skipped swimming (Paul was playing Easter bunny anyway), went to church, went for a 21.35 mile ride and averaged 19.4! Then walked to the in-laws' for Easter lunch. Even walked with Darci and the dog yesterday evening. A good day.

Today, I feel like I did yesterday. Still some tingling in my fingertips, but I feel I can resume all parts of my training. Planning to swim tomorrow.

So now I feel like I need to front-load this week and taper toward Saturday since I have my first event of the season on Sunday--the indoor triathlon.

Injuries suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment